Arabic Placement Test
Consortium students must take the placement exam on campus prior to the start of classes in August. The on-campus placement exam will be held on Monday, August 28th:
8:00 a.m. - Last names A-L: St. Mary's 343
10:00 a.m. - Last names M-Z: St. Mary's 343
The Spring 2017 Placement exam will be held on Wednesday January 18th, 2:00 - 3:30pm, in Reiss 282.
At the beginning of each semester we conduct a placement test for incoming students (freshmen and transfer) as well as for all students coming back from any non-GU program (including GU-approved programs abroad). This is to ensure proper placement in Arabic courses. This test will measure students’ abilities in Listening, Reading, Grammar and Vocabulary. The placement exam is not intended as achievement or proficiency test- rather, its sole purpose is to decide where you most appropriately fit within the sequence of courses offered in the Arabic Department’s curriculum.
If you have taken the placement test in the past and did not take an Arabic course the same semester as the exam, you must contact the department before the pre-registration period opens for that term so that your registration authorization will be sent to the Registrar's Office.
- If you are a Study Abroad Student, you should take the off-campus online placement exam by the Friday before Fall classes start. All students can take the test on-campus at the beginning of the semester if they experience problems taking the test off-campus.
- Students interested in taking Media Arabic must have either taken or have placed out of ARAB 112 through the placement exam.
- If you are a new or transfer student, you must take the Off-Campus exam before August 25th or take the On-Campus exam on August 28th in order to register for an Arabic classes. If you miss the deadline to take the Off-Campus exam, you can still take the On-Campus exam on the Monday before classes start, but you will not be able to register for classes before that time.
- Any student who wishes to place out of the Georgetown College Language Requirement should MUST take the proctored on-campus exam.
- If you are a Consortium Student, please email the Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs at email@example.com to schedule an appointment to take the placement exam on campus.
All students should receive the exam results through an automated message immediately after the test. Students taking Exam C or the Media Exam will receive an additional email message from the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies with the results. Results from the proctored exam will be sent directly to the student's college, so students should contact their respective colleges for their test results.
No placement exams will be given after the last day of the Add/Drop period. If the placement exam is not taken by the last day of Add/Drop then they MUST wait until the start of the following semester.
Instructions for the online PLACEMENT TEST (for students with Georgetown Net ID ONLY):
- Go to Georgetown University's Blackboard login page at https://campus.georgetown.edu.
- Log in using your NetID and NetID Password. Note: If you need help with your NetID, contact the Help Desk at 202-687-4949 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After logging in, click the Courses tab.
- In the Course Search box, type: "placement" and click GO. You can also search for Off-Campus Arabic Placement Exam or ARAB-PLACMENT-EXAM-OFF-CAMPUS or ARAB-PLACMENT-EXAM-ON-CAMPUS.
- Click the Enroll button to the right of the language placement test you need to take
- Confirm your enrollment by clicking the Submit button
- Click the OK button to enter the placement test site and follow the instructions on the site to proceed
- Read the Language Profile I and/or II. Fill out the language Profile information questions and answer ONLY ONE question. (NOTE: the duration time for the Language Profile is not to exceed 15 minutes)
- Based on your response to the language profile, the proper Placement Exam (A,B,C or Media) will be assigned to you, which will be on your left side-bar
- Click OK button to enter the Placement Exam test site
- Click Begin to start your Placement Exam (Note: the exam duration time is 100 minutes). Do not begin the exam unless you are ready to complete it in one sitting. Once the exam is launched, you will not be able to return to it at a later time.
We recommend that you use one of the following browsers:
* Internet Explorer 7 and 8 (Windows)
* updated Chrome or Firefox 3 (Windows and Mac)
If you have questions on how to get prepared for the placement exam, see below:
The Placement Exam covers materials from the textbooks used in our Arabic language courses:
Alif Baa: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds (3rd Edition) and the three series of the Al-Kitaab fii Ta'allum al-'Arabiyya (2nd Edition).
Placement Exam A/First year: Alif-Baa, Alkitaab Part I (Unit 1-17)
Placement Exam B/Second year: Alkitaab Part I (Unit 17-20) & Part II (Unit 1-8)
Placement Exam C/ Third year: Alkitaab Part II & III (Unit 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8) or Qasid Summer Program in Amman
Media Placement Exam: Alkitaab Part II & III (Unit 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8) or Qasid Summer Program in Amman
Placement A, B, C & Media Exam Format
The Placement Exam score is the sum of five parts: 20 points for Listening, 20 points for Reading, 30 points for Grammar, and 30 points for Vocabulary. A perfect score is 100 points.
Placement Exam A, B, & C include four parts of multiple-choice questions:
- First, second and third year Listening – 10 questions (20 points)
- First, second and third year Reading – 10 questions (20 points)
- First, second and third year Grammar –15 questions (30 points)
- First, second and third year Vocabulary –15 questions (30 points)
Total grade (100 points)
Media Placement Exam includes five parts of multiple-choice questions:
- Listing – 10 questions (20 points)
- Reading 1 – 5 questions (10 points)
- Reading 2 – 10 questions (20 points)
- Grammar –10 questions (20 points)
- Vocabulary –15 questions (30 points)
Total grade (100 points)
Persian Placement Test
At the beginning of each semester, we will conduct a Persian placement test for incoming students (freshmen and transfer) as well as for all students coming back from any non-GU program (including GU-approved programs abroad). This is to ensure proper placement in Persian courses. This test will measure students’ abilities in grammar, reading, and writing. Please contact Professor Farima Mostowfi if you need to take this exam.
HEBREW PLACEMENT TEST
Please contact Sylvia Onder in you need to schedule a Hebrew placement test.