Arabic Placement Test
The Off-Campus Placement Exam for Spring 2020 has closed. There will be no further Off-Campus Exams held in Canvas for the Spring 2020 Semester.
The Off-Campus Exam will reopen in March.
The On-Campus Placement Exams for Spring 2020 will be held:
Tuesday, January 7th, 2020
10:00 AM, Reiss 282
Friday, January 10th, 2020
2:00 PM, Reiss 282
Thursday, January 16th, 2020
2:00 PM, Poulton 200
If you plan on taking the On-Campus placement exam for Spring 2020, please contact the Arabic Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the beginning of each semester we conduct a placement test for incoming students (freshmen and transfer) as well as for all students coming back from any non-GU program (including GU-approved programs abroad). This is to ensure proper placement in Arabic courses. This test will measure students’ abilities in Listening, Reading, Grammar and Vocabulary. The placement exam is not intended as achievement or proficiency test- rather, its sole purpose is to decide where you most appropriately fit within the sequence of courses offered in the Arabic Department’s curriculum.
If you have taken the placement test in the past and did not take an Arabic course the same semester as the exam, you must contact the department before the pre-registration period opens for that term so that your registration authorization will be sent to the Registrar’s Office.
- If you are a Study Abroad Student, you should take the off-campus online placement exam by the Friday before Fall classes start. All students can take the test on-campus at the beginning of the semester if they experience problems taking the test off-campus.
- Students interested in taking Media Arabic must have either taken or have placed out of ARAB 112 through the placement exam.
- If you are a new or transfer student, you must take the Off-Campus exam the Friday before classes start or take the On-Campus exam on the Monday before classes start in order to register for an Arabic classes. If you miss the deadline to take the Off-Campus exam, you can still take the On-Campus exam on the Monday before classes start, but you will not be able to register for classes before that time.
- Any student who wishes to place out of the Georgetown College Language Requirement should MUST take the proctored on-campus exam.
- If you are a Consortium Student, please email the Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs at email@example.com to schedule an appointment to take the placement exam on campus.
All students should receive the exam results through an automated message immediately after the test. Students taking Exam C or the Media Exam will receive an additional email message from the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies with the results. Results from the proctored exam will be sent directly to the student’s college, so students should contact their respective colleges for their test results.
No placement exams will be given after the last day of the Add/Drop period. If the placement exam is not taken by the last day of Add/Drop then they MUST wait until the start of the following semester.