Arabic Placement Test
The Off-Campus Placement Exam is now open and will remain open until Friday, August 21, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
The On-Campus Placement Exams for Fall 2020 will be held at the start of the Fall 2020 Semester. Details will be posted here as the date approaches.
For instructions on how to take the Off-Campus Placement Exam, please see here.
At the beginning of each semester we conduct a placement test for incoming students (freshmen and transfer) as well as for all students coming back from any non-GU program (including GU-approved programs abroad). This is to ensure proper placement in Arabic courses. This test will measure students’ abilities in Listening, Reading, Grammar and Vocabulary. The placement exam is not intended as achievement or proficiency test- rather, its sole purpose is to decide where you most appropriately fit within the sequence of courses offered in the Arabic Department’s curriculum.
If you have taken the placement test in the past and did not take an Arabic course the same semester as the exam, you must contact the department before the pre-registration period opens in order to retake the placement exam. The new score will be sent to the Registrar’s Office as your registration authorization.
- If you are a Study Abroad Student, you should take the off-campus online placement exam by the Friday before Fall classes start. All students can take the test on-campus at the beginning of the semester if they experience problems taking the test off-campus.
- Students interested in taking Media Arabic must have either taken or have placed out of ARAB 112 through the placement exam.
- If you are a new or transfer student, you must take the Off-Campus exam the Friday before classes start or take the On-Campus exam on the Monday before classes start in order to register for an Arabic classes. If you miss the deadline to take the Off-Campus exam, you can still take the On-Campus exam on the Monday before classes start, but you will not be able to register for classes before that time.
- Any student who wishes to place out of the Georgetown College Language Requirement MUST take the proctored on-campus exam.
- If you are a Consortium Student, please email the Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to take the placement exam on campus.
All students should receive the exam results in Canvas at the end of the placement exam upon pressing submit. Students taking Exam C or the Media Exam will receive an additional email message from the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies with the results. Results from the proctored exam will be sent directly to the student’s dean, so students should contact their respective academic advisor for their test results.
No placement exams will be given after the last day of the Add/Drop period. If the placement exam is not taken by the last day of Add/Drop then they MUST wait until the start of the following semester.