Study Abroad Programs
Congratulations on your interest in studying Arabic abroad! Please make note of the following announcements:
- All students MUST make an appointment with the Office of International Programs and speak with an Overseas Study Advisor. For the Middle East and North Africa, please contact Laura Monarch (firstname.lastname@example.org). All students must be aware of the Georgetown University guidelines and procedures (available via oip.georgetown.edu) before beginning their applications.
- All students must be aware of the political climate in the region. This information is meant as a resource for programs throughout the Middle East. The Arabic Department does not promote or discourage study in any country. Be aware that it is the students’ responsibility to make informed decisions in conjunction with their professors, Study Abroad Advisor and parents when choosing a study abroad program.
- Please note that not all programs are affiliate with a university or college. It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the Arabic Department and the Office of International Programs regarding transfer of credits well before travel abroad.
- The information contained in this handout is subject to change. It is the student’s responsibility to verify dates, fees, admission requirements, etc.
Study Abroad Requirements:
It is required that students complete the Spoken Arabic requirement as well as First and Second Level MSA before studying abroad.
- Must have 3.0 GPA.
- Must meet with an International Programs Advisor in the Office of International Programs, Car Barn 210, 202-687-5867
- Must meet with Dr. Wahba and their academic adviser.
- Application Form
- TWO recommendations
- Personal Statement
Application requirements must be complete!
For more information please contact:
Division of Overseas Studies, Car Barn 210
It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the Arabic Department and the Office of International Programs regarding transfer of credits well before travel abroad.
Coursework completed at an approved overseas site can fulfill a variety of requirements, as well as free electives. Some courses are taught in English; however, one Arabic course per semester is mandatory.
Before initiating the application process, students and advisers should identify remaining degree requirements by reviewing degree audit through Student/ Faculty Access+. Students should be encouraged to pursue coursework in areas that distinguish the particular institution selected.
All overseas courses to be transferred toward the major should be pre-approved by the Arabic department on the study proposal.
Majors may transfer up to 2 courses for a semester abroad and up to 4 courses for a year abroad. A maximum of 16 credits/5 courses per semester are transferred to the Georgetown degree. No more than 10 courses for the full year are transferred.
Upon return, students' progress in Arabic will be assessed via examination of their academic records and/or departmental proficiency exams.
List of Georgetown Approved Programs
Al-Akhawayn University, Morocco
American University of Cairo, Egypt
CIEE Amman, Jordan: Arabic Language Program
CIEE Amman, Jordan: Language and Culture Program
SFS Program in Doha, Qatar
Summer in Alexandria, Egypt
Summer in Doha, Qatar
Summer in Ifrane, Morocco
List of Non-Approved Programs by Country
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.
Department Events & Announcements
- April 17: Caitlin Attal & Ariana Marnicio Present their Senior Honors Theses
- February 20: Maisa Khawaja Lecture in Arabic: وعي الذات و تناول المحرمات في الرواية النسائية السعودية
- March 13: Akiko M. Sumi Lecture - The Motif of the Mirror and Beauty