Arabic Major Course Requirements
A.B. Requirements for Arabic Majors
Minimum 120 credit hours
Minimum 38 courses
UPDATE: The course requirements for the Arabic Major have been updated for the 2012-2013 Academic Year such that ARAB 321/322 is no longer a requirement. ARAB 201/202 has been added as a requirement, but only affects incoming students matriculating for their first semester in Fall 2012. Current majors, please contact your advisor if you have questions regarding this change.
All Arabic Majors are required to take 12-14 courses. Students beginning with First Level Modern Standard Arabic must complete 14 courses for the major, otherwise 12 are required.
- ARAB 011 & 012 Intensive Beginner Modern Standard Arabic (Students who place out are exempt from these courses and need not substitute upper-level electives).
- ARAB 111 & 112 Intensive Intermediate Modern Standard Arabic
- 2 Spoken Arabic courses: Formal Spoken (ARAB 113 & 114) or Colloquial dialect.
- Spoken Arabic must be taken concurrently with ARAB 111 and 112. These courses are not open for heritage students, students who have familiarity with a spoken dialect, or students who have completed the Study Abroad requirement.
- ARAB 201 & 202 Introduction to Islamic Civilization
- Recommended for Freshmen and Sophomore level students
- Classes of 2014 and 2015 are exempt from this requirement and may substitute other Arabic courses to meet the required number of credits for the major. Please speak with your advisor if you have questions.
- ARAB 215 & 216 Intensive Advanced Modern Standard Arabic
- ARAB 350 Arabic Capstone Seminar
- REQUIRED for all Arabic seniors
- 3 ARAB Electives
Language courses cannot be taken out of sequence, i.e. a 200-level course cannot be taken after completing a 300-level course.
Students who place out of required courses can fulfill the 12-14 course requirement by taking upper-level courses in the department. Please speak with your advisor for more information.
Free Electives: 12-16 credits
Including minor and/or second major.
It is highly recommended for those pursing a second major to contact the appropriate department as early as possible in your academic career.
General College Requirements: 36 credits
Please see your advisor for further details.
- Humanities and Writing: 2 courses
- Theology: 2 courses
- Philosophy: 2 courses
- Math/Science: 2 courses
- History: 2 courses
- Social Science: 2 courses in the same discipline
The following Arabic courses will fulfill the Social Science requirement:
ARAB 390: Introduction to Language
It is recommended that Arabic majors satisfy the History requirement by completing the following:
HIST 160: Mid. East Civ. I
HIST 161: Mid. East Civ. II
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.
Department Events & Announcements
- April 17: Caitlin Attal & Ariana Marnicio Present their Senior Honors Theses
- February 20: Maisa Khawaja Lecture in Arabic: وعي الذات و تناول المحرمات في الرواية النسائية السعودية
- March 13: Akiko M. Sumi Lecture - The Motif of the Mirror and Beauty