OPI for SFS Students (Excluding MSFS and BSFS)
- All graduate students in SFS (excluding MSFS) must have completed Intensive Intermediate Arabic (ARAB 112) and have started Intensive Advanced Arabic (ARAB 215)
- All graduate students in SFS (excluding MSFS) must have completed Intensive Intermediate Arabic (ARAB 112) and have started Media Arabic I (ARAB 213) to attempt the OPI.
- MAAS students who have started ARAB 215 are eligible to take OPI.
- If not currently enrolled in an Arabic Language Course or if there is more than a semester gap in taking an Arabic course at GU, the student must take the placement exam before attempting the OPI. This also applies to native speakers.
- FALL 2020: If the placement exam is needed to determine proficiency exam eligibility, please note that for FALL 2020, the exam will be taken remotely online.
When is the Exam administered?
The Arabic Proficiency and Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) Exams are conducted in November and April of each year.
Exam Registration and Schedule:
All students (except Arabic Majors) taking Arabic Proficiency exam or OPI MUST register by the deadline. No registration requests are accepted after the Registration deadline below.
Fall Semester – Registration starts on the second Monday in October, stays open for two weeks, and closes on the Friday of the second week at 5 PM. Students are contacted by faculty administering the exam informing them about the exam date by end of October. Exams are held during the first two weeks in November.
FALL 2020: The registration deadline has been extended until Monday, October 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
Spring Semester – Registration starts on the second Monday in March, stays open for two weeks, and closes on the Friday of the second week at 5 PM. Students are contacted by faculty administering the exam informing them about the exam date by end of March. Exams are held during the first two weeks in April.
How to register for the Exam? Follow the steps below to register. BOTH STEPS must be completed.
- Step 1. Click HERE to complete the Registration Form by the deadline.
- Step 2. Submit a $25 deposit check (or exact cash amount) payable to Georgetown University. Deposit payment must be submitted by the deadline at the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies in Poulton Hall, room #200. DUE TO COVID-19, THE DEPOSIT HAS BEEN WAIVED FOR THE FALL 2020 AND SPRING 2021 EXAMS.
Students who postpone their exam after agreeing to a time with the Proctor will forfeit their deposit. Should the student then postpone a second time, they will have to pay an additional deposit of $25. Please note that students must pick up their deposit by the last day of classes in the semester in which the exam was taken, or it will be deposited.
Please contact exam coordinator, Professor Ghayda Al Ali firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the exam