Arabic Placement Test
**FOR THOSE STUDENTS WHO WERE NOT ABLE TO ATTEND THE AUGUST 31ST PLACEMENT EXAM, OR WERE TOLD LATER THAN AUGUST 31ST TO TAKE A PLACEMENT EXAM, A SECOND PLACEMENT EXAM WILL BE HELD, THE DATE AND TIME FOR WHICH WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT A LATER DATE.**
The online placement exam for the Fall 2015 semester (for current Georgetown students only) will be available beginning on June 19th and will remain open until August 28th at 5pm.
Consortium students must take the placement exam on campus prior to the start of classes in August. The on-campus placement exam will be held on Monday, August 31st:
8:00 a.m. - Last names A-L: St. Mary's 343
10:00 a.m. - Last names M-Z: St. Mary's 343
At the beginning of each semester we conduct a placement test for incoming students (freshmen and transfer) as well as for all students coming back from any non-GU program (including GU-approved programs abroad). This is to ensure proper placement in Arabic courses. This test will measure students’ abilities in grammar, reading, and writing.
If you have taken the placement test in the past and did not take an Arabic course the same semester as the exam, you must contact the department before the pre-registration period opens for that term so that your registration authorization will be sent to the Registrar's Office.
- If you are a Study Abroad Student, you should take the online placement exam by the Thursday before Fall classes start. Students who would like to take ARAB 361 (Intro to Arabic Literature and Style), should take Exam C by the Thursday before classes start and must also take an additional written component. All students can take the test on-campus at the beginning of the semester if they experience problems taking the test off-campus.
- Students interested in taking Media Arabic must have either taken or have placed out of ARAB 112 through the placement exam.
- If you are a new or transfer student, you must take the exam by the Pre-Registration deadline in order to pre-register for Arabic classes. If you miss the deadline, you can still take the exam online until the Thursday before classes start, but you will not be able to register for classes until the beginning of the semester.
- If you are taking the placement exam to place out of the college language requirement, you MUST take the proctored on-campus exam.
- If you are a Consortium Student, please email the Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs at email@example.com to schedule an appointment to take the placement exam on campus.
All students should receive the exam results through an automated message immediately after the test. Students taking Exam C or the Media Exam will receive an additional email message from the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies with the results. Results from the proctored exam will be sent directly to the student's college, so students should contact their respective colleges for their test results.
No placement exams will be given after the last day of the Add/Drop period. If the placement exam is not taken by the last day of Add/Drop then they MUST wait until the start of the following semester.
Instructions for the online PLACEMENT TEST (for current Georgetown students):
1. Go to Georgetown University's Blackboard login page at https://campus.georgetown.edu.
2. Log in using your netID and netID password. Note: If you need help with your netID, contact the Student Help Desk at 202-687-4577 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. After logging in, click the Courses tab.
4. In the Course Search box, type: "placement" and click Go.
5. Click the Enroll button to the right of the language placement test you need to take.
6. Confirm your enrollment by clicking the Submit button.
7. Click the OK button to enter the placement test site.
8. Follow the instructions on the placement test site to take the test.
We recommend that you use one of the following browsers:
* Internet Explorer 7 and 8 (Windows)
* Firefox 3 (Windows and Mac)
* Safari 3 and 4 (Mac)
*The Spring 2015 semester placement exam will be held on Tuesday January 6th for any students who need to take the exam to register for a language class. The exam will be at 10am or at 11am in Reiss 282, no late arrivals will be admitted.*
Persian Placement Test
At the beginning of each semester, we will conduct a Persian placement test for incoming students (freshmen and transfer) as well as for all students coming back from any non-GU program (including GU-approved programs abroad). This is to ensure proper placement in Persian courses. This test will measure students’ abilities in grammar, reading, and writing. Please contact Professor Farima Mostowfi if you need to take this exam.