The Language Institute offers students the opportunity to acquire or master skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking in Arabic and Persian. Language instruction is proficiency-oriented and imparts cultural experiences and knowledge. The materials used are broad-based and help students develop skills for communication. Students learn how to accomplish language tasks in formal and informal situations. Assessments reflect the model of an educated native speaker as well as proficiency (American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Language: ACTFL) guidelines.
Classes are small and students benefit from individual attention inside and outside the classroom. Experienced, dedicated, and diverse faculty use current techniques and incorporate technology-based instruction. The summer program provides real-time and on demand access to current media resources and the latest in classroom language learning technology. The Language Institute offers its students a gateway to an exceptional academic community at Georgetown University, a range of summer activities in the Summer School, and state-of-the-art language opportunities.
Intensive language courses offer 3 hours of daily instructional contact for 5 days and award 5 credits. Non-intensive language courses offer 1.5 hours of daily contact for 5 days and award 3 credits. Students who complete two semesters of non-intensive language will not normally be eligible to enter the next level intensive course.
For more information, and guidelines on how to apply to the Summer Language Institute, please visit the Summer School's website.
- Partial Tuition Scholarships are available for Visiting Students.
- Graduate School Language Scholarships are available for Georgetown Graduate Students.
- Consortium and Georgetown students are eligible to receive FLAS Scholarships, due to the intensive classes plus the extracurricular activities outside of the classroom that are part of the program.
- Intensive 1st Level Modern Standard Arabic
- Intensive 2nd Level Modern Standard Arabic
- Intensive Intermediate Persian
Due to the intensive course of study, students who enroll in the Institute are able to complete one year's worth of language instruction in 10 weeks. The Institute also provides access to a language lab equipped with latest classroom language learning technology. In addition to rigorous language instruction, the Institute strives to provide a well rounded education. Therefore, the Summer Language Institute arranges a number of events to engage the students outside of the classroom and offer a cultural experience in the Nation's capital. The variety of events the Institute offers includes:
- Weekly free coffee and pastry conversation sessions
- Field trips to the Library of Congress and Voice of America to learn about their Arabic & Persian collections & activities
- A visit and lunch at a local Embassy
- Weekly movie screenings with lunch and discussions with fellow students and professors,
- End of semester luncheon celebration and receive a certificate for completing a language summer study
The Summer School also offers a variety of free and fun activities to Summer School Students which includes:
- Field Trips to Smithsonian Museums
- Special tickets to Nationals baseball games
- Kayaking on the Potomac River
- Spin Class at SoulCycle