Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies & Sakka Family Fund presents:
The Georgetown Colloquium in Arabic Literature, Fall 2016
Transgression and Invention Language, Genre and Interarts in Modern Arabic Poetry
Director: Suzanne Stetkevych
Assistant Director: Hatem Alzahrani
When: 27-28 October, 2016
Where: Baker Scholars Conference Room, Room 550, Regent’s Hall 5th Floor
Panel 1: Thursday 27 October, 3:00-5:30 p.m.
- Yaseen Noorani, University of Arizona
Translating World Literature into Arabic and Arabic into World Literature: Sulayman al-Bustani’s al-Ilyādha
- Huda Fakhreddine, The University of Pennsylvania
The Poetics of Translation and Translated Poetics
- Waed Athamneh, Connecticut College
The World is an Arena of Terror: ʿAbd al-Wahhāb al-Bayātī’s “Meditations on the Other Face of Love”
- Hatem Alzahrani, Georgetown University
The Poem of Interpretation: The Location of Language in Qassim Haddad’s dīwān “Al-Nihāyātu tanʾā” (The Endings Recede).
Keynote Address and Reception: Thursday 27 October, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Qassim Haddad, Bahraini Poet & Critic; Sakka Family Fund Visiting Professor, Department of Arabic & Islamic Studies, Georgetown University
Genre Transgression and Interarts Invention
Panel 2: Friday 28 October: 9:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Boutheina Khaldi, American University of Sharjah, UAE
The Intermingling of Genres in The Strangers
- Mohammad Alahmad, Georgetown University
Inter-genre and the Issues of Poetics in Contemporary Arabic Poetry: The Prose Poem
- Elliott Colla, Georgetown University
Lamentation in the Time of Prohibition: Amal Dunqul’s “Ughniyyat ka‘aka hajariyya”
- Sayed A. Elsisi, University of Maryland
The Erotic in Modern Arabic Poetry: From Sufi-Eroticism to Cynicism
Panel 3: Friday 28 October, 2:00-4:30 p.m.
- Jeffrey Sacks, University of California, Riverside
Babbling: Language Interruption in Adunis and al-Farabi
- Esraa al-Shammari, University of Pennsylvania
Prosimetrum in Arabic: The Case of Adūnīs in al-Kitāb
- Hasan al-Sulami, Georgetown University
Between Prose and Poetry: Toward a Reading of Saʿīd al-Surayḥī’s Al-Ruways
- Muhsin al-Musawi, Columbia University
Poetry and the Poetics of Prose in Elias Khouri’s Children of the Ghetto