Arabic Proficiency Test
***Proficiency exams for the Spring semester will be scheduled between April 2nd and April 17th, 2013.***
Sign-ups for the Spring 2013 Proficiency Exam will be open from March 14th to March 27th. Please carefully read through the information on signing up below.
- The sign-up sheet will be located at the front desk of the Arabic Department in Poulton Hall.
- Please come to the department prepared to list ALL previous Arabic courses/professors you've had at Georgetown along with your GUID.
- In order to sign up for the proficiency exam, you are required to provide a check made out the The Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies for $25.00 in order to hold your exam spot. Checks will be destroyed upon successful completion of the exam at your scheduled time, but if you fail to show up for your scheduled appointment, the check will be cashed.
- After the sign-up period ends, you will be contacted to schedule a date for your exam within the exam period listed above.
NOTE: All students (including heritage speakers) are expected to perform this exam in MSA.
BSFS students must have completed at least ARAB 216 to attempt the Proficiency Test.
MSFS students must have completed ARAB 112 and have started either ARAB 215 or ARAB 213 to attempt the Proficiency Test.
IMPORTANT: Students who took ARAB 215/216 (or their equivalents) abroad must first take the PLACEMENT exam before they can sign up for the proficiency exam. Please contact the department to schedule a time to do so prior to proficiency sign-ups. If students fail to place out of 216 they can enroll in Arab 213/214.
Proficiency tests for BSFS/ MSFS students are conducted in November and April of each year. The format of the test is an oral interview lasting between 30-40 minutes. Students will also be asked comprehension questions on a short reading passage provided to them 15 minutes before the test. To pass proficiency, BSFS students must receive a rating of at least “Advanced low” based on ACTFL guidelines. The MSFS test is identical in format, however students are rated on a different scale detailed on the MSFS Language Proficiency Examination Form.
Arabic Majors and Minors:
In April of each year, Arabic majors and minors, who are enrolled in Arabic language courses, are required to take an oral proficiency test, lasting approximately 30-40 minutes. This is a departmental requirement. Students who do not take the test will have their Arabic final grades withheld for the semester. Majors and Minors do not need to sign-up for this exam, but will be contacted in late March with more information concerning the date and time of the test.
This test will also be based on ACTFL guidelines.
For questions about the Arabic Proficiency Exam, please contact Dr. Hanaa Kilany.
Hebrew Proficiency Test
The next Hebrew proficiency test will be held on Monday, March 18th, 2013 at 9:00am in Gervase 420.
Sign-ups for this exam are now closed. The deadline to sign up for the Hebrew proficiency exam was Monday, February 25th, 2013. If you have any questions, please contact Yoel Wachtel.
Students are required to complete three years of Hebrew in the university level before taking the exam. The Exam is offered in November and April. The format of the exam for BSFS and MSFS students includes an oral interview of 30-40 minutes and a reading comprehension text that would be provided to students 15 minutes before the beginning of the exam. In order to pass the exam, students are expected to perform at the minimum level of Advanced Low, in accordance with ACTFL guidelines.
Persian Proficiency Test
We recommend students finish three years of Persian before taking BSFS/ MSFS proficiency tests. Proficiency tests for BSFS/ MSFS students are conducted in November and April of each year. The BSFS format is an oral interview lasting between 30-40 minutes. To pass proficiency, BSFS students must receive a rating of at least “Advanced low” based on ACTFL guidelines. The MSFS format includes an oral reading comprehension section in addition to an oral interview. The total test lasts approximately 40-45 min.
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.
Department Events & Announcements
- April 17: Caitlin Attal & Ariana Marnicio Present their Senior Honors Theses
- February 20: Maisa Khawaja Lecture in Arabic: وعي الذات و تناول المحرمات في الرواية النسائية السعودية
- March 13: Akiko M. Sumi Lecture - The Motif of the Mirror and Beauty