Study Abroad Requirements
For more information on GU Approved Study Abroad opportunities, please visit the Office of International Programs (OIP) website.
Please see our Study Abroad Guide for other non-approved programs.
Study Abroad Requirement:
It is required that students complete the Spoken Arabic requirement as well as First and Second Level MSA before studying abroad.
* Must have 3.0 GPA.
* Must meet with an International Programs Advisor in the Office of International Programs, Car Barn 210, 202-687-5867
* Must meet with Dr. Bassiouney and their academic adviser.
* Application Form
* TWO recommendations
* Personal Statement
Application requirements must be complete!
For more information please contact:
Division of Overseas Studies, Car Barn 210
It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the Arabic Department and the Office of International Programs regarding transfer of credits well before travel abroad.
Coursework completed at an approved overseas site can fulfill a variety of requirements, as well as free electives. Some courses are taught in English; however, one Arabic course per semester is mandatory.
Before initiating the application process, students and advisers should identify remaining degree requirements by reviewing degree audit through Student/ Faculty Access+. Students should be encouraged to pursue coursework in areas that distinguish the particular institution selected.
All overseas courses to be transferred toward the major should be pre-approved by the Arabic department on the study proposal.
Majors may transfer up to 2 courses for a semester abroad and up to 4 courses for a year abroad. A maximum of 16 credits/5 courses per semester are transferred to the Georgetown degree. No more than 10 courses for the full year are transferred.
Upon return, students' progress in Arabic will be assessed via examination of their academic records and/or departmental proficiency exams.
Georgetown -Sponsored Programs:
For other programs, please see the list by country at the bottom of our study abroad page.
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.
Department Events & Announcements
- April 17: Caitlin Attal & Ariana Marnicio Present their Senior Honors Theses
- February 20: Maisa Khawaja Lecture in Arabic: وعي الذات و تناول المحرمات في الرواية النسائية السعودية
- March 13: Akiko M. Sumi Lecture - The Motif of the Mirror and Beauty