The Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies offers two tracks for completing a PhD in Arabic at Georgetown University:
1. Candidates entering with a Bachelor’s degree, or an advanced degree in a field other than Arabic, may apply to the Ph.D. program for an Accelerated Program which requires 54 credits of coursework.
2. Candidates entering with a Master’s Degree in Arabic linguistics and/or Arabic literature may apply to the Advanced Standing Program which requires 36 credits of coursework.
The decision to follow the Advanced Standing track is handled on a case-by-case basis after a student has been admitted, never before. S/He must meet with the Director of Graduate Studies to discuss the relevance of their past degree(s) to the PhD Arabic and then submit a formal request to the Graduate School upon receiveing departmental approval.
Please see our Department's Graduate Handbook for more information on these tracks.
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.
Department Events & Announcements
- April 17: Caitlin Attal & Ariana Marnicio Present their Senior Honors Theses
- February 20: Maisa Khawaja Lecture in Arabic: وعي الذات و تناول المحرمات في الرواية النسائية السعودية
- March 13: Akiko M. Sumi Lecture - The Motif of the Mirror and Beauty